Pages

Saturday 25 October 2014

My Consumer Addiction


Ever since I was a child getting my pocket money, I have been an over-shopper. I am true example of the expression "retail therapy". I love to shop. And I can always find something that I want. I love social media. My particular favourites are Facebook and Instagram. I never really caught on to the Twitter trend. I love pictures, which I guess is a good thing considering I am studying to be a professional photographer!

The very bad thing about social media is the temptation to buy things. Instagram is particularly bad for this. I follow some very talented Mums who are excellent children's Interior Designers. I could spend hours gazing through their Instagram feeds at the rooms they are putting together for some very lucky children. I could also spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars buying all of the gorgeous wall decals, vintage furniture, hand made dolls, and felt ball rugs that I see in these pictures. 

Facebook is just as tempting. I follow many pages that buy rare vintage furniture, up cycle it and give it new life, and then re-sell at usually high prices. These particular pages do a great job at this, they put a lot of time and energy into their work, and I'm sure their selling prices are very reasonable in consideration of this. It is, however, hard on my bank account, and VERY bad for my already choc-a-block full home. 

Every time I buy something online, I somehow end up signing up for emails from this particular retailer. For example, I bought my niece a purse online from a popular surf brand for christmas recently. I have now started receiving emails from this brand, outlining their current bargains. I know there's probably a little box that I can uncheck thats says in tiny writing next to it "I wish to receive promotional mail regarding upcoming sales and events" that I missed in my rush to complete the sale and move on to the next important thing on my never-ending to-do list.

This is the way retailers get you. They make you think that you can't live without whatever item it is they happen to be promoting.

Your life won't be as easy without that huge planner, filled with mostly pages you won't use.

Your children won't be as happy without that bed-linen or doll.

Your floors won't be as clean without that super-expensive vacuum cleaner.

You won't lose any weight without that shake program or sit up machine designed to the same thing as healthy eating and regular, good-old sit ups.

Advertisers know exactly what to say to make you think you need that product, and you need it now.

And I have been sucked into this for years. It's only now, in my mid-twenties that I am sitting up and taking notice of the damage it's doing to my life, my relationships, and my home. The easiest way that I have found to stop myself from purchasing is remind myself of my goals to clear out the physical clutter in my home. Buying more is just adding to this burden, and is going to be a complete waste of money once I simply give the item away. 

This seems to be working… for now. I will keep the updates flowing about giving up my consumer addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment